Funding in Canada for International Students

by Kat Tretina | In Guides and Tools | 17 April 2023 | Updated on: April 17th, 2023

Canada is an appealing country for international students looking to study abroad. It has many prestigious schools, including the University of Toronto, which was in the top 20 in U.S. News’ ranking of the best global universities. 

The cost of studying in Canada can be expensive. Tuition rates vary, but it typically costs between $7,000 and $22,000 (CAD), and living expenses cost about $15,000 (CAD) per year. 

That cost may sound steep, so you may be wondering, “How will I fund my study abroad program?” Luckily, there are several options that can help you pay for your education. 

Studying in Canada: 5 Ways to Fund Your Education

If you plan on studying in Canada, there are several financial aid opportunities, including:

  • Scholarships and bursaries: These are forms of gift aid and don’t need to be repaid. They can be awarded for a single term, or for several academic years. 
  • Student loans: Student loans cover the cost of your education expenses upfront, but they have to be repaid with interest. 

Depending on your country of origin and your program of study, you may be able to utilize one or more of the following financing options: 

Scholarships, Fellowships and Grants

If you aren’t eligible for financial aid to study in Canada from your home country — or if you need additional financial support — you may be eligible for scholarships, fellowships or grants from the Canadian government, your selected university or college or non-profit organizations. 

For example, Global Affairs Canada offers the Study in Canada scholarship to citizens of select countries, including Taiwan, Ukraine, Egypt and Kenya.  The scholarship provides up to $12,700 (CAD)  in funding to international students.

Scholarships, fellowships and grants are excellent financial aid options because, unlike student loans, they don’t have to be repaid. Search for scholarships that fit your profile through EduCanada

Financial Aid from Your Home Country

Many countries recognize the importance of studying abroad and offer financial aid to their citizens to make the cost more manageable. For example: 

  • Saudi Arabia: Saudi Arabia recently updated its Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Scholarship Program with the goal of sending 70,000 Saudi students to schools worldwide by 2030. 
  • Sweden: Swedish citizens can qualify for government-issued grants and loans to study abroad.
  • United Arab Emirates (UAE): The UAE offers scholarships to UAE nationals and children of UAE national mothers to study abroad under the sponsorship of the Ministry of Education.

These programs can provide invaluable financial aid and reduce the need for student loans, but not all countries offer these options. Contact your country’s department or ministry of education to see if similar programs are available to you. 

Work-Study Programs

Many schools operate work-study programs for international students. If your selected college has a work-study program, you can work part-time and earn money to cover some of your education expenses.

Work-study programs always pay minimum wage or higher, but there are often income restrictions. Contact your school’s registrar or financial aid office to find out what options are available. 

Independent Employment

If your school doesn’t have a work-study program, you can cover some of your education expenses by getting a part-time job on your own. Canada allows international students to work on-campus or off while they study. Depending on the province and territory, minimum wage can range from $13 to $16 (CAD) per hour.

Typically, international students can only work 20 hours per week, but that restriction is relaxed through December 31, 2023. And you can work full-time during official school breaks, such as winter and summer holidays, and after you finish your studies if you have applied for a non-student work permit. 

To find potential part-time job opportunities, search on databases like or

Private Student Loans

If you still need help paying for your program in Canada, you can use private student loans to cover the rest of the bill. Private student loans are specifically designed to cover education expenses, and they’re repaid in monthly installments over the course of 10 years or more. 

With MPOWER Financing, you can borrow up to US$100,000 to pay for undergraduate, graduate or doctoral programs at eligible Canadian schools. There’s no prepayment penalty, and you don’t need a cosigner to qualify for a loan. 

You can check your eligibility and apply for a student loan to study in Canada online; the initial application process takes just a few minutes. 

Funding Your Study Abroad Program

Studying in Canada can be an excellent way to get an outstanding education and experience with another culture, so don’t let the cost keep you from pursuing your dreams. There are several financial aid opportunities and funding options that can help you pay for your education. 

Author: View all post by Kat Tretina

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

DISCLAIMER – Subject to credit approval, loans are made by Bank of Lake Mills or MPOWER Financing, PBC. Bank of Lake Mills does not have an ownership interest in MPOWER Financing. Neither MPOWER Financing nor Bank of Lake Mills is affiliated with the school you attended or are attending. Bank of Lake Mills is Member FDIC. None of the information contained in this website constitutes a recommendation, solicitation or offer by MPOWER Financing or its affiliates to buy or sell any securities or other financial instruments or other assets or provide any investment advice or service.

2022 © MPOWER Financing, Public Benefit Corporation NMLS ID #1233542. 1101 Connecticut Ave NW Suite 900, Washington, DC 20036